For the dressing:
- 2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic put through garlic press
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the salad:
- 3 pieces pancetta, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 (12-ounce) package mixed baby salad greens
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved, diced 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large tomato, diced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 12 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced in 1/2 vertically
- 2 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola
- Freshly cracked black pepper
To make the dressing:
In a blender combine all ingredients except olive oil. Pulse several times until well combined. Once combined, turn machine on and slowly add in olive oil. Chill until ready to use.
To prepare the salad:
In a medium fry pan over medium heat, cook the pancetta until crispy. Remove to paper-towel lined plate to drain and cool. Clean out pan with paper towel and in same pan over medium heat, lightly toast the pine nuts. Remove to a plate and set aside to cool. Wash and dry greens, place in refrigerator to chill 10 to 15 minutes. Also chill individual salad plates or a platter if serving salad family-style.
When ready to serve, in a large bowl toss together salad greens, cucumber and tomato with just enough dressing to lightly coat salad. Place salad on chilled individual plates or platter. Dress top of salad with pancetta, pine nuts, olives, Gorgonzola and freshly cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.