Wild Mushroom and Sun-Dried Tomato Farrotto (Farro Risotto)
- 1 cup farro
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups assorted wild mushrooms (cremini, shiitake, oyster, wood ear), cleaned and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups (1 1/2 quarts) low-sodium chicken stock, warmed
- 1/2 cup diced rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Place the farro in a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes to par-cook the farro, and then drain and set aside.
In a heavy-based pot, add the butter and oil. Add the mushrooms, garlic and shallots and saute until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Deglaze with the white wine. Add the drained farro and stir to combine. Add the chicken stock to the pot a little at a time, ensuring at each addition that the liquid has been completely absorbed by the farro. Keep stirring and adding the stock until the mixture is thick and creamy.
Add the sun-dried tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and then add the Parmesan, sour cream and parsley.
Recipe courtesy of Guy Fieri