- 4 baby eggplants, skin-on and diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cracked cloves garlic, plus 2 finely chopped cloves
- 1 red dry hot pepper, diced
- 1 large porcini, diced
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons pecorino Romano
- 11/4 cups of unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil or light olive oil
- Fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Place the diced eggplant in a small deep bowl. Season with salt and compress with heavy object. Let it stand for approximately 1 hour. Squeeze out excess juice and set aside.
In a small frying pan, begin to heat 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 cracked garlic cloves, hot pepper. When fragrant, add the eggplant and diced mushrooms for approximately 3 minutes until brown and crisp. Discard the garlic.
In a bowl, beat eggs, add grated cheese, black pepper, remaining 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, chopped fresh basil, and parsley. Add the eggplant, mushrooms, 2 garlic finely chopped cloves, and bread crumbs, and mix thoroughly.
Heat vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan or skillet. Wet your hands and begin to scoop 1/2 cup of mix to make patties. Start to fry when oil is very hot. Cook for 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove from pan and place on tray lined with paper towels to cool and absorb excess oil. Serve immediately.