White Bean and Arugula Salad
- 3/4 pound dried cannellini beans
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1 red onion, halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick half-rounds
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and small-diced
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, small-diced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces baby arugula
The night before, place the beans in a large bowl and add water to cover by 2 inches. Soak overnight in the refrigerator. The following day, drain the beans, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
Heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the red onion and saute over medium-low heat for 7 to 9 minutes, until wilted. Add the beans and enough water to cover them by 3 inches. Bring to a boil and skim off any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes, until tender. Drain the beans and onions and transfer to a mixing bowl.
Meanwhile, heat the 1/2 cup of olive oil in a 10- to 12-inch saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes, and prosciutto and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until fragrant. Pour the hot oil mixture over the warm drained beans, tossing well. Allow to cool for 10 minutes only. While still warm, stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Place in a large, shallow serving bowl, surround with arugula, taste for seasonings, and serve warm or at room temperature.
2012, Barefoot Contessa Foolproof, All Rights Reserved