- 6 large firm tomatoes
- 8 ounces uncooked chorizo (or spicy Italian sausage)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 poblano (or green bell) pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut off top third of each tomato. Scoop out seeds, juice and pulp from and discard. Set aside. Chop tomato top and set aside.
In medium nonstick skillet, saute chorizo or sausage in olive oil, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks. When browned all over, add onion to skillet and cook until soft, stirring frequently. Add garlic, celery, and poblano pepper and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring to combine well. Add reserved chopped tomato tops, salt, and pepper and stir for another minute.
Remove skillet from heat. Mix in 2 tablespoons cilantro, bread crumbs, and pepper jack cheese. Using a large spoon, stuff mixture into tomatoes, packing down firmly. Top with Parmesan and place tomatoes in oiled baking dish. Bake until heated through and cheese turns golden, approximately 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon of cilantro and serve.
Recipe courtesy Ingrid Hoffmann, 2008
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse