- 4 natural casing all-beef franks
- 4 fresh hot dog buns
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 8 jarred sport pickled peppers (or sub pickled hot peppers)
- Homemade Bread and Butter Relish, for serving, recipe follows
- Yellow mustard, for slathering
- Hand Cut Fries with Celery Salt, for serving, recipe follows
Set up a large pot with a steamer insert and steam the franks until warm, about 5 minutes. When the franks are almost done, place the buns on top of the franks to steam, 1 to 2 minutes. Place the franks in the buns and top each with some of the onions, 2 peppers, some Homemade Bread and Butter Relish and slather with mustard. To serve, top the franks with a handful of Hand Cut Fries with Celery Salt, wrap each frank in foil and let steam, 2 to 3 minutes, before eating. Eat on the towel-lined trunk of a car.
Homemade Bread and Butter Relish:
- 1 cup bread and butter pickles, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon pickled cherry peppers, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Combine the pickles, peppers and sugar in a bowl and mix well. Serve. Yield: 1 cup.
Hand Cut Fries with Celery Salt:
- Vegetable oil
- 4 large russet potatoes, scrubbed
- Celery salt, for sprinkling
Fill a 6-quart heavy pot or Dutch oven two-thirds of the way full with oil. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 375 degrees F.
Cut the potatoes lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick sticks. Fry the potatoes in batches, until golden brown, 8 minutes per batch. Transfer the potatoes with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with celery salt and serve immediately.