Lapsang Souchong Garlic Chili Oil Glazed Salmon
- Lapsang chili oil glaze:
- 1 quart Lapsang Souchong, strong brew
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 sprig thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Chili oil:
- 1 cup olive oil, good quality
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, Japanese, good quality
- 1/4 cup samba chili sauce with garlic
- 4 (6 to 8-ounce) salmon fillets
- Taro Wasabe mashed purple potatoes:
- 1/2 pound taro root, firm and free of blemishes
- 2 pounds purple potatoes
- 2 tablespoons wasabe paste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1/4 pound salted butter
- 3 ounces heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper
- Sesame Green Beans:
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
Chili oil: Heat oil in a small pan to 325 degrees F. Add the garlic and fry for 3 to 5 minutes or light golden brown. Remove from heat and add the sesame oil, soy sauce, and sambal. Add the Lapsang reduction. Let cool to allow flavors to combine.
Marinate salmon fillets in the Lapsang-chili mixture for 1 hour. Preheat a grill. Remove from the marinade and grill over medium flame for about 8 minutes each side, or until cooked to desired doneness.
Taro Wasabe mashed purple potatoes: Peel the taro and cut into medium cubes. Put into cold water, bring to a boil and cook until taro is fork tender. Chop potatoes into medium cubes, place in pot with cold water, bring to a boil and cook until fork tender. Due to different cooking times, cook potatoes and taro separately. When they are done, drain and combine with other ingredients and mash. Add cream slowly as not to make too creamy.
Sesame Green Beans: Toast sesame seeds in clean, dry skillet for 30 to 45 seconds on medium heat, move rapidly to avoid burning. Set aside. Pick and clean the beans. Heat sesame oil in pan, then fry the beans until semi cooked, about 45 to 60 seconds. Toss in pan to coat with oil. Sprinkle with toasted seeds.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.