- 2/3 cup bulghur*
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves or 1 tablespoon dried, crumbled
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped fresh parsley leaves (preferably flat-leafed)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallion
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced seedless cucumber
- *available at natural foods stores and many supermarkets 2/3 cup bulghur*
Put bulghur in a heatproof bowl. Bring water to a boil and pour over bulghur. Let bulghur stand 1 hour.
While bulghur is soaking, in a large bowl stir together onion, salt, allspice, and dried mint, if using (do not add fresh mint now), and let stand 30 minutes. Drain bulghur in a sieve, pressing hard to extract as much water as possible, add to onion mixture with remaining ingredients including fresh mint, if using.
Toss salad well and season with salt and pepper.