- 2/3 cup bulghur*
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves or 1 tablespoon dried, crumbled
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped fresh parsley leaves (preferably flat-leafed)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallion
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced seedless cucumber
- *available at natural foods stores and many supermarkets 2/3 cup bulghur*
Put bulghur in a heatproof bowl. Bring water to a boil and pour over bulghur. Let bulghur stand 1 hour.
While bulghur is soaking, in a large bowl stir together onion, salt, allspice, and dried mint, if using (do not add fresh mint now), and let stand 30 minutes. Drain bulghur in a sieve, pressing hard to extract as much water as possible, add to onion mixture with remaining ingredients including fresh mint, if using.
Toss salad well and season with salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine