- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 bunches fresh cilantro, washed and dried, leaves picked off and reserved (about 2 1/4 cups loosely packed)
- 1 avocado
- 3 green onions, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, from about 1 lime
- 1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded, deveined, and roughly chopped
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin (recommended: Knox)
- Crostini, for serving, recipe follows
Spray 3 (1 cup) or 6 (1/2 cup) ramekins with vegetable oil cooking spray.
Pour 1/4 cup water in a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let it sit for a few minutes. Place the remaining 3/4 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour the boiling water over the softened gelatin and whisk until the gelatin has dissolved.
Add the gelatin to the mixture in the food processor, pulsing until pureed and thoroughly blended.
Pour the mixture into the prepared ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
To unmold, fill a large container with very hot water. Dip the ramekins in the water for 1 minute. Run a small, sharp knife tip around the edge of each mousse. Unmold onto a platter. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving. Serve with Crostini.
- 1/2 baguette, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper