Abbacchio alla Romana: Baby Lamb, Roman-Style
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, whole, plus 1 clove, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 pounds young lamb, from the leg, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 salt-packed anchovies, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more
- 1 cup white wine
In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat and add the butter. When the butter melts, add the 2 garlic cloves and saute until it begins to brown. Remove the garlic and add the lamb. Brown the meat on all sides, working in batches if necessary. In a small bowl, combine the rosemary, anchovies, vinegar, salt and remaining chopped garlic and mix well to combine. Add this mixture to the meat and cook over medium-low heat until the vinegar evaporates and the meat is tender. Moisten occasionally with some of the wine. The meat will take about 1 hour to cook.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.