Abbacchio alla Romana: Baby Lamb, Roman-Style
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, whole, plus 1 clove, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 pounds young lamb, from the leg, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 salt-packed anchovies, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more
- 1 cup white wine
In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the olive oil over high heat and add the butter. When the butter melts, add the 2 garlic cloves and saute until it begins to brown. Remove the garlic and add the lamb. Brown the meat on all sides, working in batches if necessary. In a small bowl, combine the rosemary, anchovies, vinegar, salt and remaining chopped garlic and mix well to combine. Add this mixture to the meat and cook over medium-low heat until the vinegar evaporates and the meat is tender. Moisten occasionally with some of the wine. The meat will take about 1 hour to cook.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.
Baby Lamb Chops with Rosemary Parmesan Crust and Barolo Syrup with Scalloped Potatoes and Haricots Verts
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray