Baked Cardoons: Cardi al Forno
- 20 stalks, cleaned, boiled and dried cardoons
- 1/4 cup grated caciocavallo, plus 1/4 cup medium diced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated pecorino, plus 1/2 cup diced
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs (large "Big Boy" crumbs)
- 1/2 bunch freshly chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry, and thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 1/2 lemon, juiced, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Lightly grease a shallow 9 by 13-inch gratin dish. Arrange the cardoons in a single layer at the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 cup grated caciocavallo, 1/4 cup grated pecorino, bread crumbs and parsley over the cardoons and top with anchovies, diced caciocavallo and diced pecorino.
Season, to taste, with the salt and pepper. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil and toss until well combined.
Drizzle the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place in the oven and bake until the top is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Serve hot with a squeeze of lemon.
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali