Chilled Mussels---Cozze Fredde
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 8 dozen Prince Edward Island mussels, scrubbed, bearded and rinsed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 ounces anchovy fillets, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 flat parsley leaves, minced
In a large pot, bring the wine to a simmer. Add the mussels and poach, removing each one as it opens, and set aside in a large bowl. When all mussels have been removed, increase heat and reduce the liquid to 2/3 cup. Set aside.
Remove cooled mussels from shells and discard shells. Set mussels aside.
In a 14 to 16-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil and add the garlic. Cook gently 1 to 2 minutes, until softened but not browned. Add the anchovies and chili flakes and toss over heat 1 to 2 minutes. Add the mussels, reduced cooking liquid and vinegar and simmer 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place mixture in a large bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Add the parsley, toss well and serve.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved