Drowned Cabbage: Verza Affogata
- 1/4 pound pancetta or slab bacon, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium savoy cabbage, cored, quartered and cut into thin strips
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup white wine
In a small bowl, combine the pancetta or bacon, onion, rosemary, and garlic and mix well with a spoon or by hand to combine. In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, combine the mixture with the oil and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the cabbage and stir it in to coat with the mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste and pour in the wine. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
Recipe copyright 2001, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.