- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick cook polenta
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds sweet Italian sausage (8 links) cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large portobello mushroom, stem removed, cap thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 cup red wine
- Salt and pepper
Bring the water to a boil in a 6-quart saucepan. Pour the polenta in a thin stream into the boiling water and, whisking constantly, cook until it is as thick as porridge. Continue cooking, stirring with a wooden spoon until it is too thick to stir. Pour the polenta out onto a wooden cutting board.
In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat the oil until it is smoking and add the onion. Cook until just softened, or 2 to 3 minutes, and add the sausage pieces. Cook until browned on all sides and drain the fat from the pan. Add the portobellos, rosemary and red wine and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes covered, or until sausage is cooked. Slice pieces of polenta off the board with a knife and place in each of four warmed pasta bowls. Remove the sausage mixture from the heat, season, to taste, and pour over polenta. Serve immediately.