- 3 ounces ricotta salata, grated
- 3 ounces aged pecorino, grated
- 6 ounces whole-milk ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons toasted fennel seeds
- 1 pound bucatini
- Fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Hot pepper oil, recipe follows
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
Cook the pasta in the water according to the package directions, until tender yet al dente. Drain and reserve 1 cup of cooking water. Return the pasta to the dry pot and beat a few tablespoons of the hot water into the cheese mixture to thin it. Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss over high heat 1 minute. Season with salt, if necessary.
Red Pepper Oil:
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 jalapenos, seeded and chopped into 1/8-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
Place the oil, jalapenos, and pepper flakes in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Heat the mixture registers 175 degrees F, on a deep-fry thermometer, then remove from heat and allow to cool. Pour into a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand overnight and strain out solids. Transfer to a jar and cover with a lid. This oil will last 3 weeks unrefrigerated in a cool, dark place.
Yield: approximately 1 1/2 cups