Devil's Food Cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Fine salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup coffee, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Raspberries, for garnish
For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line one 12-cup standard muffin tin with cupcake liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Slowly beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix together the coffee, milk and vanilla in a measuring cup. Add half the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, beat to combine, and then add the coffee-milk mixture and continue to beat. Then add the remaining dry mixture. The mixture will look thick and airy.
Using an ice cream scoop, fill each cupcake liner three-quarters of the way full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the oven to a wire rack; let cool before frosting.
For the frosting: Bring the heavy whipping cream to a gentle simmer. Add the chopped chocolate to a bowl with the butter and pour the hot cream over. Whisk the mixture until melted and smooth. Let it sit until it thickens up, 20 to 30 minutes.
Frost the cupcakes with the chocolate frosting using an offset spatula. Top each with a raspberry.
Recipe courtesy the Neelys