Homemade Salsa and Tortilla Chips
- 1 pound tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced and seeded
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 8 to 12 corn tortillas
- Preheat peanut oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F.
Add all salsa ingredients to a bowl and toss.
For the chips:
Mix the salt and chipotle powder together in a small bowl.
Arrange the corn tortillas in a stack and cut into 6 equal wedges. Drop into the oil, in batches, and fry until crisp and golden. Remove from the fryer to a paper towel lined sheet tray. Sprinkle the chips immediately with the seasoned salt and serve with the salsa.
Recipe courtesy The Neelys