Maple Baked Beans
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 (15-ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup porter-style beer
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Add bacon to a large Dutch oven over medium heat and cook until fat is rendered and bacon has begun to crisp.
Add onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes and saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, brown sugar, thyme leaves, beef, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, hot sauce, salt, and pepper and bring to a simmer.
Remove from the stovetop and bake uncovered 45 minutes until the mixture begins to bubble and thicken. Check at 30 minutes and add 1/2 cup water or chicken broth if it looks like it getting too dry.
Recipe courtesy of The Neelys
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray