- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, ribs removed and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- One 8-ounce bottle clam juice
- One 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Big dash hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Big dash Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Cooked long-grain rice, for serving
Add the oil to a large heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, sprinkle in the flour. Cook the roux, while stirring, until it's the shade of peanut butter, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the thyme, garlic, celery, onions and bell pepper and saute until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the paprika, cayenne and white pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk in the stock, clam juice, tomatoes, hot sauce and Worcestershire. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a low simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes of simmering, adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Stir in the shrimp, lower the heat and cook until the shrimp are cooked through and bright pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in the green onions right before serving.
Serve in a bowl with a mound of white rice in the center.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.