Triple Corn Quick Bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 jalapeno, ribs removed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels, defrosted if frozen
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups extra-sharp shredded yellow Cheddar
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cups canned cream corn
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
Add 1 tablespoon butter to a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the jalapeno and garlic and saute until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the corn kernels and saute for another minute. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat to cool.
Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Toss in the cheese with your hands.
Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter.
In a second bowl, mix together the milk, melted butter, egg, and creamed corn. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and then stir in the sauteed corn and jalapeno until combined. Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before turning out.
Recipe courtesy The Neelys