- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 3 (10ounce) packages thoroughly defrosted petits pois or, if available, 4 pounds fresh peas, shelled and blanched
- 1/2 small bunch flatleaf parsley, leaves only, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces linguica sausage, or cooked, dry chorizo, sliced 1/4inch thick
- 6 large eggs, preferably freerange
- 1/2 small bunch cilantro, leaves only, finely chopped
In a large shallow flameproof casserole, melt the butter over medium heat. Saute the onion for 8 to 10 minutes, until softened and golden. Add the broth, peas, parsley, cilantro, sugar, salt, and pepper. Overlap the sausage slices in a circle around the very outside edge of the dish. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat. Simmer for 5 minutes. Break 1 egg into a small saucer and, holding the saucer close to the pan, slide the egg on top of the peas. Repeat with the remaining eggs, grouping them in the center of the sausage ring but keeping them slightly apart from each other. Sprinkle the eggs with salt and pepper, cover the pan tightly, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more, until the eggs are covered with an opaque film and the white are set, or continue cooking the eggs to your liking. Sprinkle the cilantro over the top and serve from the skillet with a large spoon.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.