- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 boneless beef top loin (strip) steaks, cut 3/4-inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 mango, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 small avocado, cut lengthwise into 8 slices
- 1 shallot, very thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 tablespoons shaved firm Cotija cheese or Parmesan
Preheat charcoal grill to medium heat.
Place the jalapeno peppers on grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill uncovered, for about 11 to 13 minutes or until evenly blistered and blackened. Place in a food-safe plastic bag; close bag. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes until skins are loosened.
Press black pepper evenly onto beef steaks. Place steaks on grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Remove from grill and let stand while preparing vinaigrette
Meanwhile prepare Jalapeno Vinaigrette:
Remove and discard skins, seeds and membranes from jalapeno peppers. Place peppers, lime juice, cilantro, water and salt in food processor container. Cover and pulse on and off until combined. With motor running, slowly add oil through opening in cover, processing until well blended.
Cook's Tip: To prepare on gas grill, preheat grill according to manufacturer's directions for medium heat. Grill steaks, covered, 7 to 10 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Cooking times for jalapeno peppers remain the same.
Cook's Tip: 2 beef shoulder petite tender roasts (8 to 12 ounces each) may be substituted for top loin (strip) steaks. Grill shoulder petite tender roasts, covered, over medium, ash-covered coals l4 to 18 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 14 to 19 minutes) for medium-rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
Cook's Tip: For less heat, use the lower amounts of jalapeno peppers and ground black pepper.