- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and cored
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green, sliced diagonally
- 5 serrano chiles, with seeds, sliced diagonally
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup palm or dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons pureed garlic
- 1 tablespoon black or yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 cup olive oil
Slice tomatoes into 6 wedges each. Reserve in a large bowl with scallions and serrano chiles.
In a saucepan bring vinegar to a boil. Add sugar and salt, and cook until dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and reserve.
Measure ginger, garlic, mustard seeds, cracked peppercorns, cumin, cayenne, and turmeric onto a plate and place near stove. In another saucepan heat oil until smoking. Add spices and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until aromas are released, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar mixture.
Immediately pour over reserved vegetables. Mix well, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate a minimum of 3 days.