- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices on the diagonal
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed and separated into small florets
- 1 pound pickling cucumbers, unpeeled, washed and cut into 1/4-inch slices on the diagonal
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 6 red jalapeno chilies
- 6 green jalapeno chiles
- 2 heads garlic, cloves separated, peeled, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil, and blanch the carrots for 3 minutes. Remove from the boiling water with a slotted spoon, and refresh in a bowl of iced water. Drain and reserve. Then blanch the cauliflower about 6 minutes, drain, refresh and drain again. Place the carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers and oregano in a large nonreactive bowl.
Set aside to cool to room temperature. Pour into three 1-quart glass jars and refrigerate as long as 1 month.