Asparagus Pasta Salad
- 1 small shallot or 1/2 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 1 pound asparagus, thin spears
- 2 endive, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound bow tie pasta, farfalle, cooked to al dente and cooled
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, a couple of handfuls
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat shallot and oil in microwave safe covered dish for 30 seconds or in a small pan on the stovetop over medium low heat for 5 minutes. Allow oil to cool back to room temperature.
Hold a spear of asparagus at each end and snap it. The spear breaks where the tender tops meet the tough bottoms. Line the broken spear up with the bundle of cleaned asparagus. Cut the spears using the guideline of the snapped spear. Par boil the asparagus tops in 1 inch simmering water covered for 3 to 5 minutes. Cool under cold running water and drain. Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces on an angle and add to a bowl. Combine chopped, cooked asparagus with shredded endive, red bell pepper, cooked pasta, green peas and chopped parsley. The peas will defrost as you toss salad. Pour vinegar into a small bowl and whisk in cooled shallot oil. Pour dressing over salad and toss. Season salad with salt and pepper, to your taste and toss again.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray