BBQ Turkey or Chicken Gumbo
Use this recipe with leftover roast turkey or rotisserie-style chicken, pulled from the bone.
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 shots bourbon
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- One 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds white and dark meat cooked turkey or chicken, chopped or pulled
- 1 box chopped frozen okra, optional
- Cooked white or brown rice or oyster crackers, to serve
- Thinly sliced scallions, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium to medium-high heat, add the butter and melt into the oil. Add the thyme, celery, garlic, bay leaf, onions, bell peppers and some salt and pepper. Cook partially covered until tender, 15 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir a couple of minutes. Add the bourbon, and then the stock. Reduce the heat a bit to thicken. Stir in the hot sauce, Worcestershire, sugar, vinegar and tomato sauce. Add the turkey and okra, simmer to thicken and combine. Then serve or cool and store for a make-ahead meal. Reheat over medium heat.
Serve in shallow bowls topped with scoops of rice or crackers and scallions.
Cook's Note: To roast turkey breasts when it's not Thanksgiving time, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Rub the skin of the whole turkey breast with butter or oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until temperature reads 165 degrees F on thermometer (1 hour for boneless and 75 to 90 minutes for bone-in). Let rest covered with foil.
More Recipes and Ideas:
BBQ Chicken with Trish Lynn's Grandma's Famous BBQ Sauce, BBQ Chicken in Cornbread Cups, SolaReflex Southwestern Chardonnay BBQ Chicken, Turkey Breast Recipes, Thanksgiving Stuffing and Dressing, Chicken Breast Recipes, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Cornish Hen Recipes, Turkey Burger Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.