- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 2 cloves cracked garlic
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds mussels -- ask at counter to check that they have been scrubbed
- 1/2 cup white dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper
Heat pan over medium high heat. Add oil, garlic and thinly sliced red onion, then mussels. Arrange mussels in a single layer. Add vermouth to the pan and cover. Cook until mussels open. Discard any unopened shells. Transfer mussels to a bowl. Pour juice over mussels and sprinkle with parsley, salt and pepper. You'll need a second bowl, for shells.