Chipotle Chicken Thighs with Chunky Guacamole
- 8 pieces bone-in chicken thighs
- Smoked sweet paprika or paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/3 pound chunk Spanish chorizo, casing removed and crumbled or chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, seeded and finely chopped, plus a tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Tortillas or bread, for mopping
- Chunky Guacamole
- 2 slightly under-ripe avocados
- 2 limes or 1 large ripe lemon, juiced
- 1 small red or green chile pepper, seeded and very thinly sliced
- 1 vine-ripe tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped or thinly sliced
Season chicken with paprika and salt and pepper, to taste. Heat the extra-virgin olive oil, a couple of turns of the pan, in a Dutch oven or large high-sided skillet with a lid. Add the chicken and brown on all sides. Remove the chicken to a plate and spoon off the excess fat. Add the chorizo and brown a couple of minutes, then remove it to a plate. Stir in the carrots, onions, garlic, thyme and chipotle, and cover the pot. Reduce heat a bit, and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes and bring to a bubble, then add the chicken and the chorizo back to the pot and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes more to cook through. Cool completely and store in the refrigerator for a make-ahead meal.
To reheat, add 1 cup of stock to the chicken in a Dutch oven and cover with a lid. Cook over medium heat, until the sauce bubbles, then gently stir and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
Heat the tortillas or bread and set aside.
Halve and gently dice the avocados into large chunks. Add them to a small bowl and douse with the lime juice. Season with salt, to taste, and lightly mash.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Grilled Chipotle Honey-Glazed Chicken Nachos with Monterey Jack Cheese Sauce, Avocado Relish and Charred Jalapenos
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Guy Fieri