Pork Chops with Golden Apple Sauce
- 4 Golden Delicious apples, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 ounces golden raisins, a handful
- 1 -inch piece fresh ginger root
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 cups all natural apple juice or cider, plus a splash for pan sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 4 (1-inch) thick center cut boneless pork loin chops, 6 to 8 ounces each
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
Combine first 8 ingredients in a medium pot placed over medium high heat and cook until a chunky sauce forms, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. If sauce begins to spatter as it bubbles, reduce heat back a little, but it should be allowed to reduce and form quickly. Once apples are soft and sauce forms, remove it from the heat.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to the pan. Season chops on 1 side with salt and pepper. Using a pair of tongs, add chops to hot skillet seasoned side down. Season the opposite side of the chops with salt and pepper. Brown and caramelize the chops 2 minutes on each side, then reduce heat to medium and cook another 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, until juices run clear. Remove chops from heat and let them rest a couple of minutes for juice to redistribute. Deglaze the pan with a splash of apple juice and 2 tablespoons of butter. Pour pan sauce over chops. Remove ginger from the sauce and top chops with generous portions of warm golden apple sauce.
Alton's Breakfast Carrot Cake(00:03:17)
How to Make 'Whoopeeps'(00:02:18)
Thank you! your flag was submitted.