- 2 pounds mixed mushroom caps, such as coarsely chopped hen of the woods or wood ears, coarsely chopped shiitakes, thinly sliced porcini, thinly sliced portabellas or criminis
- About 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head garlic, cloves crushed
- Small handful sage, chopped or thinly sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked pumpkin puree
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 chipotle in adobo, seeded and finely chopped, plus a small spoon of sauce
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Toasted pepitas, for garnish
- Chives, chopped, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Toss the mushrooms with the extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, sage, salt, and pepper, and roast 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the pumpkin puree in a small pot over medium heat with a little chicken stock to thin it out. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring the remaining stock to a boil in a saucepot and whisk in the chipotle in adobo, its sauce, and polenta. Keep whisking the polenta until it pulls away from the sides of the pot, then stir in the butter and honey. Combine the pumpkin and polenta and serve in shallow bowls. Top with roasted mushrooms and garnish with pepitas and chives.