- 2 1/2 pounds ground llama
- 1 pound 80/20 blend or 75/25 blend ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
Blend the llama and ground beef in a large bowl, being careful not to over blend as that will create a denser burger. Add the egg, bread crumbs, lemon juice, thyme, rosemary, feta, and salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well and form into 8 equal round patties, no more than 3/4-inch thick. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, allowing the ingredients and flavors to blend together.
Heat the grill to medium-high heat.
Add the burgers to the grill and cook until desired doneness is achieved, about 6 to 8 minutes per side. Remove and arrange on serving plates over sliced tomatoes. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and garnish with chopped scallions.
Recipe courtesy of Robert Irvine