- 4 large Idaho potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 celery root (about 1/2 pound), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Salt and ground black pepper
In a large saucepan, combine potatoes, celery root and garlic cloves. Pour over enough water to cover and set pan over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes, until potatoes are fork-tender.
Drain and transfer potatoes, celery root and garlic to a large bowl. Add buttermilk and olive oil and mash until smooth (or lumpy, whatever you like!). Fold in chives. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.