Round 2 Recipe - Coconut Chicken Soup
- Reserved chicken legs, thighs, wings, and bones from Basil Chicken recipe
- Kosher salt
- Reserved coconut milk from Rice Pudding with Coconut Milk recipe
- 1 small serrano chile, thinly sliced, or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Reserved scallion, from Pad Thai recipe, sliced thin
- 1 -inch piece ginger root, cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Put the chicken into a large pot, cover it with water, and add a big pinch of salt. Cover and bring it to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, skim the scum, and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the chicken. Strain the broth and put it back into the pot over medium heat.
When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat and discard the skin and bones. Add the coconut milk, chile, scallion, ginger, lime juice, and chicken to the broth and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls garnished with cilantro.
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee