Sausage, Shrimp and Peppers over Cheesy Grits
- Cheesy Grits:
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock, plus more if needed
- 2 cups cream, plus more if needed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup grits or polenta
- 4 ounces American cheese, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Sausage, Shrimp and Peppers:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Parmesan-parsley pork sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small orange bell pepper, cut in small dice
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut in small dice
- 1/2 Spanish onion, cut in small dice
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut into thirds
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
For the grits: Bring the chicken stock, the cream and butter to a simmer in a heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in the grits. Reduce the heat and simmer until the grits have thickened, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid lumps. Once the grits are thick and creamy, stir in the cheeses and adjust the consistency with stock and/or cream and season with salt and pepper. These grits provide a wonderful bed to soak up the flavor from the sausage, shrimp and veggies.
For the sausage, shrimp and peppers: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the sausages and brown. Then transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon, leaving all of the fat in the skillet. Add the garlic, bell peppers and onions to the skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the shrimp and saute until they begin to turn pink, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the reserved sausage and the chicken stock to the skillet and let reduce a bit to intensify those flavors. Stir in the butter at the end and garnish with parsley.
Serve the sausage mix over the grits.
Recipe courtesy Kelsey Nixon