- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced scallion
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 bunch Thai basil, leaves roughly chopped
- 2 Japanese eggplants, sliced 1/2-inch thick on the bias
- 1/2 cup oyster mushrooms, torn into pieces
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large ovenpoof skillet over medium-high heat, add all of the marinade ingredients. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half. Add the eggplant and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
Put the pan into the oven and cook until the eggplant and mushrooms are soft and caramelized, about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with sesame seeds.