Spedino (Fried Mozzarella Sandwich)
- 4 slices dense bread, crusts removed
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced thin, at room until golden on both sides.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten in a shallow dish
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 ounces olive oil
- POSSIBLE ADDITIONS:
- Basil leaves, julienned
- Calamata olives, pitted and chopped fine
- Sun dried tomatoes (in oil), sliced thin
- Italian parsley, chopped
- Olive paste
- Anchovy fillets
Sandwich the cheese equally between 2 bread slices (add any of the additions). Season to taste. Lightly brush the milk on both sides of the sandwich. Dip briefly in flour and remove excess. Place sandwiches in egg and allow egg to soak in. Press edges of sandwiches together to seal. Heat oil in a large saute pan and add sandwiches. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.