- 1 pint very ripe dark cherries, split in 1/2 and pitted
- 1 pint very ripe white cherries (Rainier), split in 1/2 and pitted
- 2 tablespoons rhododendron honey
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 6 sprigs lemon verbena, 2 crushed and 4 for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 (1-inch thick) slices semolina bread (cut from a 2-pound loaf)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
In a medium bowl, gently toss the cherries with the honey, vinegar, and crushed lemon verbena. Season lightly with salt and pepper and set aside to macerate for 30 minutes.
Generously brush each slice of bread with the olive oil. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the bread slices and toast, turning once, until crisp.
Divide the toast among 4 plates. Drain the cherries and reserve the juice. Top the toast with the cherries and drizzle with the reserved juice. Garnish each plate with lemon verbena.