Thermos Spicy Baked Beans
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce plus 1 can water
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 whole dried chile pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds dried pinto beans, cooked according to package directions
Add the oil to the Cook and Carry system inner cooking pot over medium-high heat and fry the onion for 3 minutes.
Add the garlic, ginger and cayenne, and cook for just 30 seconds, stirring, to release the volatile oils.
Stir in the carrots and apples until they are well coated with spices. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir thoroughly and bring to a full boil. Place the inner cooking pot into the insulated transport container and allow to cook for 4 hours.