Brat Spice Mix:
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1 3/4 pounds pork shoulder, diced
- 1/4 pound fat back, diced
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon brat spice mix
- 1 cup store-bought sauerkraut
- 1 tablespoon diced bacon
- 1/4 cup onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 juniper berries, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon garlic-chili paste
Combine all the spice mix ingredients.
To make the spicy kraut: Soak the store-bought kraut in water for 20 minutes, drain excess water. Render the bacon; add the onion and saute until translucent. Add white wine and cook off the alcohol. Add sauerkraut and spices and enough water to cover. Simmer for 1 hour. Cool. Mix in garlic-chili paste.
To assemble: Cook burger patties until medium-well. Melt 2 slices of cheeses on top of each patty. Place on toasted bun and top with spicy kraut.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.