- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, plus additional
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, plus additional
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- 1 lime, zest finely grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (1-pound) tuna steaks
- 2 Texas onions (spring onions), peeled, trimmed, and each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 orange baby bell peppers, cored, seeded, deveined, and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 12 fava beans, peeled
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 seedless orange, peeled and cut in segments
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated, flesh peeled, and cut in segments
- 4 sprigs basil, leaves only, washed
- 2 tablespoons Nicoise olives, pitted
- 1 tablespoon pistachios
- Vegetable oil
- Fleur de sel
Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, cumin, fennel seeds, garlic, thyme leaves, and lime zest; season, to taste, with pepper. Rub the marinade all over the tuna steaks. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, fennel, a pinch of cumin, and a pinch of fennel seeds and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes (don't let the vegetables brown). Add the zucchini and bell peppers, season to taste with salt and pepper, and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
Separately, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the fava beans and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the cherry tomatoes, orange segments, lemon zest and segments, half of the basil leaves, olives, and pistachios.
While the vegetables are cooking, heat a grill pan over high heat. Brush the pan with vegetable oil and grill the tuna steaks for 4 minutes on each side for medium rare. Let rest for 5 minutes before cutting each steak into 4 slices.
Divide the vegetables among 4 warm dinner plates. For each plate, top with the remaining basil leaves and put 2 slices of tuna on top of the vegetables. Season the tuna with fleur de sel and spoon the citrus-fava mixture around the plate. Serve immediately.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.