- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, plus additional
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, plus additional
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- 1 lime, zest finely grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (1-pound) tuna steaks
- 2 Texas onions (spring onions), peeled, trimmed, and each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 orange baby bell peppers, cored, seeded, deveined, and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 12 fava beans, peeled
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 seedless orange, peeled and cut in segments
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated, flesh peeled, and cut in segments
- 4 sprigs basil, leaves only, washed
- 2 tablespoons Nicoise olives, pitted
- 1 tablespoon pistachios
- Vegetable oil
- Fleur de sel
Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, cumin, fennel seeds, garlic, thyme leaves, and lime zest; season, to taste, with pepper. Rub the marinade all over the tuna steaks. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, fennel, a pinch of cumin, and a pinch of fennel seeds and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes (don't let the vegetables brown). Add the zucchini and bell peppers, season to taste with salt and pepper, and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
Separately, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the fava beans and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the cherry tomatoes, orange segments, lemon zest and segments, half of the basil leaves, olives, and pistachios.
While the vegetables are cooking, heat a grill pan over high heat. Brush the pan with vegetable oil and grill the tuna steaks for 4 minutes on each side for medium rare. Let rest for 5 minutes before cutting each steak into 4 slices.
Divide the vegetables among 4 warm dinner plates. For each plate, top with the remaining basil leaves and put 2 slices of tuna on top of the vegetables. Season the tuna with fleur de sel and spoon the citrus-fava mixture around the plate. Serve immediately.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.