Vegetable Hash with Poached Eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, washed, white and light green part sliced thinly
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 2 baking potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 poblano chile, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 to 6 eggs, cracked into individual bowls
- Salsa Roja, if desired
Heat the oil in a large skillet over moderate heat. Add the leek and onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt and pepper and saute another minute. Add the carrots, potatoes and scant 1/4 cup water to skillet. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
To the vegetables in the skillet, add the red pepper, poblano chile and mushrooms and saute until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the cilantro and mix to combine, then turn the heat to high to lightly brown the hash.
Meanwhile, poach the eggs: Bring 4 cups of water and the vinegar to a simmer in a deep saute pan. One at a time, tip each bowl over the water and let the eggs fall gently into the water. After 1 to 2 minutes, remove each egg with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Divide the vegetable hash among individual plates, making a well in the center of each. Using a slotted spoon, carefully place a poached egg in the center of the hash. Serve warm with Salsa Roja.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.