Season 2, Episode 2
Crispy Breaded Chicken Cutlets
See Tune-In Times
Jack asks Frederic to teach her some recipes for the crispiest, juiciest chicken cutlets ever. Recipes include: Italian Breaded Chicken Cutlets; Cajun Cornmeal Crusted Chicken Cutlets.
Below youll find a helpful episode guide for cooking along with Frederic and Jack, as well as tips and recipe rescues.
- Baking sheet
- Serrated knife
- Chefs knife
- Cutting board
- Food processor
- Pepper mill
- Rasp or box grater
- Measuring spoons
- Meat mallet
- Wax paper
- 3 shallow pans or bowls
- Large skillet
- Liquid measuring cup
- Rack over baking pan
- Dry measuring cups
Standard breading procedure:
- An assembly-line procedure for items to be pan-fried or deep-fried that consists of dredging the item in flour, dipping it in beaten egg, and coating it with crumbs.
- It works because the flour helps the egg wash adhere, and the egg wash allows the breadcrumbs to stick.
- Shake off the excess flour before dredging in egg, and pack enough breadcrumbs on to fully and evenly coat the food, but shake off the excess before frying.
- Oils with a high smoking point work best for frying because the oil needs to be at a high temperature yet still below its smoking point when frying. Good frying oils include most vegetable oils, peanut oil, safflower oil, soybean oil, grapeseed oil, and canola oil.
- Fats that are not good for frying (because they have low smoke points) include olive oil and butter.
- Pan-frying is a cooking method in which items are cooked in deep fat in a skillet; generally involves more fat than sauteing, but less than deep-frying.
- The goal of pan-frying is to produce an exterior with a crisp, golden brown crust, which acts as a barrier to retain juices and flavors.
- The breading is soggy The temperature of the frying oil was not hot enough. Serve chicken over a salad or in a sandwich so that it is not as noticeable.
- The breadcrumbs got too dark Make sure to use a low-sugar content bread for making breadcrumbs. The sugar will cause the breading to burn in the high heat of the frying oil.
- Your chicken is not cooked through After slicing, return the chicken to the oven and continue cooking until the inside is no longer the least bit pink in color, and juices run clear.
- The coating is too spicy Serve chicken with mayonnaise, a yogurt sauce, or lemon wedges.