Bacon-Apple-Jalapeno Pop 'Ems
- One 8-ounce package light ef="http://www.foodterms.com/encyclopedia/cream-cheese/index.html" class="crosslink" debug="26 38">cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 large scallions, roots sliced off, green and white partsminced finely
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cored and minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20 jalapenos
- 20 strips thin-sliced bacon, chopped in half
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment.
Don a pair of plastic gloves so you don't burn your fingers or your eyes like I did. Slice each jalapeno in half lengthwise, and then either slice out the membranes or use a measuring spoon to scoop them out. Discard the seeds.
Either using a teaspoon or a small icing spatula, fill each jalapeno half with the cream cheese mixture; fill until just over the rim of the jalapeno. Wrap each pepper with a bacon half and secure with a toothpick. Line up the pop 'ems on the prepared baking sheet and pop into the oven until bacon has browned on the bottom, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes (which will be as long as you can resist them). Enjoy with a cold beer! Aaah!