- 1 pound yuca, peeled, large dice
- 1/2 pound boniato, peeled, large dice
- 1/2 pound malanga, peeled, large dice
- 1/4 pound calabaza, peeled, large dice
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon star anise, ground
- 1/2 cup to 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil for frying
- Canela Syrup, recipe follows
Boil all the vegetables until soft. Drain and press through a food mill into a food mixer bowl, cool to room temperature. With the paddle attachment, incorporate the eggs, salt and anise. Stir while adding enough flour to create a dough that can be molded. Roll dough into a rod and divide into 6-inch pieces. Form figure eights from the pieces, and deep fry until golden brown. Serve drizzled with Canela Syrup.
Combine all the ingredients for the syrup in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer, uncovered, until the mixture is the consistency of syrup, about 30 minutes.