- 4 hoagie rolls
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/4 pound baked ham, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound roast pork, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 10 thin dill pickle slices, approximately 2 whole pickles
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
Slice the bread horizontally in half, leaving 1 edge intact. Lay the bread open and spread each side with the mustard. Divide the ingredients evenly among the slices of roll. Start with the ham followed by the pork, cheese, and dill pickles. Bring the tops and bottoms together.
Heat your panini maker or sandwich press. Butter each side of the press. Place the sandwiches inside, press down and grill until the cheese is melted and the bread is flat and browned, approximately 10 minutes. If you don't have a sandwich press, you can heat 6 fireplace bricks wrapped in foil, in a 500 degrees F oven for 1 hour and then press the sandwich between them for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Recipe courtesy of Alton Brown, 2004