- 1/2 stick butter, melted, plus more for baking dish
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for baking dish
- 1 pound fresh cherries, pitted and cut in 1/2 or 1 box frozen cherries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zested
- Powdered sugar
- Ice cream or whipped cream, for garnish
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Generously butter and flour a 7 by 5-inch baking dish or 6 individual, wide, flat gratin dishes.
Add the cherries, in an even layer, to the prepared baking dish.
In the bowl of a food processor, add the almonds, sugar, flour and salt and pulse until they are coarsely chopped. In a large bowl, using a whisk, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla and lemon zest until they are homogeneous. Add in the melted butter and the flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Pour over the cherries.
Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the center is set and the top is golden brown.
Dust with powdered sugar and serve with ice cream or whipped cream or both!
Oh cherry baby!
Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell