Asian Pear Salad with Tamari Pecans and Maytag Blue Cheese
- 2 tablespoons pear vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pear syrup (fresh pear juice reduced to a syrup)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin lemon oil
- 6 cups assorted full-flavored greens (baby mustard, lovage, arugula, dandelion, mizzuna, etc.)
- 1/4 cup tamari pecans, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup dried currants or chopped raisins
- 1/4 cup cold Maytag blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 ripe Asian pear, cored and thinly sliced
- Tamari Pecans:
- 1 tablespoon high quality tamari
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- Salt and cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shelled pecan halves
Place the pear vinegar and pear syrup in a small mixing bowl. Whisk in the lemon-o and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the greens, tamari pecans, and currants. Sprinkle over with the blue cheese, then drizzle over with the dressing. Toss the salad gently and briefly, as you do not want the cheese crumbles to begin sticking together. Divide the salad onto the center of 2 chilled salad plates and garnish by fanning the pear slices around each salad.Tamari Pecans:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the tamari and molasses. Season, to taste, with salt and cayenne pepper. Toss with the pecans until they are well coated. Transfer the pecans onto a kitchen towel and allow to briefly drain. Roast the pecans on an icing rack until the pecans are fairly dry and toasted. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Chop the pecans into 1/4-inch pieces.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.