Apricot-Yogurt Parfait with California Granola
- California Granola:
- Nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup raw almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup raw walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 pure clover honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin California olive oil
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown muscovado sugar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins or dried cherries
- 1/4 cup apricot nectar
- 6 ounces dried apricots
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups low-fat or fat-free Greek yogurt
Combine the oats, almonds and walnuts in a large bowl. Combine the honey, canola oil, olive oil, sugar, syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well until combined. Turn the mixture out onto an 11- by 7-inch jelly-roll pan, and spread into an even layer.
Bake, stirring and re-spreading the mixture into an even layer every 5 minutes, until the granola is light golden brown, about 45 minutes. Immediately turn the granola out onto another jelly-roll pan to cool and stop the cooking process. Stir in the apricots and raisins and then spread the granola evenly in the pan. Set on a wire rack and cool to room temperature. Loosen any dried granola with a spatula and store in an airtight container.
For the parfait: Combine the nectar, apricots, sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the apricots are soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and cover. Let the mixture chill in the fridge.
Fold the apricot puree into the yogurt (don't combine completely), and layer in parfait glasses with the California granola.
Recipe courtesy Bobby Flay