Grilled Shrimp with Tomato and Feta
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp (21 to 24), shelled and deveined
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, trimmed
- Canola oil, for brushing the skewers
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Greek extra-virgin olive oil, for cooking
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Clover honey, for sweetening
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- Finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 8 ounces Greek feta, patted dry and crumbled
- 6 pita breads, warmed, for serving
- Special equipment: Wooden skewers, soaked in cold water for 2 hours
For the shrimp: Prepare a charcoal grill for high direct heat. Skewer a few shrimp onto 2 skewers so the shrimp lay flat. Do the same with the tomatoes. Brush the skewers with canola oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the tomatoes first, until slightly charred on both sides and soft, about 2 minutes each side. Reserve the shrimp skewers to the side.
Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Cook the garlic and shallots until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the grilled tomatoes, wine, paprika, cinnamon, red pepper flakes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Crush the tomatoes with a spoon. Cook until the sauce thickens. Taste; add some honey if the tomatoes aren't sweet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir in the mint, oregano and lemon zest.
Grill the shrimp until just cooked through and slightly charred, about 1 1/2 minutes each side. Remove the shrimp from the skewers and add to the tomato mixture. Toss the shrimp just to coat and transfer to a platter. Top the shrimp with the feta and mint sprigs and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with the pitas to dip in tomato juices.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Charcoal Grilled Shrimp and Calamari with Grilled Lemons and Smoked Tomato-Black Olive Relish, Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Mustard-Dill Dressing and Black Olive Yogurt Sauce, Grilled Shrimp with Coconut Curry Dip and Peanuty Noodles, Cheese Ball Recipes, Spicy Shrimp Recipes, Thanksgiving Appetizers, Roasted Tomato Recipes, Easy Grilling, Shrimp Creole Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.