Chilled Chayote Soup with Cilantro Crema Fresca
- 3 chayotes, roughly diced
- 1 Spanish onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, sliced to about 1/2 cup
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted ground fennel seed
- 2 bunches cilantro
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup crema fresca or creme fraiche
- Salt and pepper
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add chayote, onion and leek and boil until the chayote is tender, for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow it to cool. In a food processor puree the chayote mixture and add chicken stock, cream, fennel seed, and season, to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside until later.
In a food processor puree until smooth the cilantro with 1/2 cup of water. In a bowl mix the cilantro paste with the crema fresca thoroughly and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place chayote soup in a serving bowls and place a dollop of crema fresca on top.
Recipe courtesy of Aaron Sanchez